Monday, September 07, 2009

Colour Challenge "Perfect Breeze" on Elite challenges

The Elite challenges site have posted the monthly colour challenges for September. I always look for this each month as it inspires me to try a colour combination I just wouldn't have ever dreamed of putting together or makes me attempt a layout which on first glance I didn't notice in the catalogue.
There are usually 3 challenges each month: A colour combo, a sketch, and a stamp set challenge.
You can do them all separately or combine a couple, if that is the way you want to go.
I usually find that two of the challenge ideas is enough to get my creative juices primed and ready to experiment.
The septmeber colour challenge is:
Baja breeze, Perfect plum and More mustard.
As I am a purple girl at heart I could't resist this challenge. Now to get inspiration from the sketch challenge .... It's the card from page 11 of the current Spring mini.
The layout from the sample in the mini might often inspire me ... but what I like most about my very contrary mind is that I usually reject what is right there infront of me and swap, substitute or change atleast a few things.
The shape of the focal point, the stampset, the paper pack, or the colours completely. That is why combining two challenges together works so well for me. One provides me with the structure eg. the colour pallette ( I need rules in my life I have found) and the other gives me something to "play with". Usually something just creeps into my head and I play around with the ratio of colour and the size of each element. But if in doubt I keep refering back to the sketch layout.
If it doesn't look finished .. I put another layer in there, I add one, two or three embellishments (or take one away). I have even torn off a layer and replaced it completely.
But mostly I follow my first thought and just live with the result... or cover up the offending nasty bit with another element. Or, I might have to put it away and it languishes unfinished, until inspiration strikes again.
The original card sketch had a square on the ribbon at the top. Instead I have used the flower shaped gallery stamp. I have rock and rolled both the flower and butterfly in the baja breeze and perfect plum ink. And used dimensionals to raise the butterflies up off the card. The rhinestone brad just adds that special element.
To make this card you will need:
Stampset: Great friend ($31.95), Gallery ($39.95)
Cardstock: More mustard, Perfect plum, baja breeze, whisper white.
Ink: Baja breeze and Perfect plum, whisper white craft.
Accessories and tools: Clear rhinestone brad, mat pack and awl, corner rounder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, so let me know your thoughts: