Saturday, September 19, 2009

Stamping on glass and Heat embossed metal

This weeks theme is stamping on non porous surfaces right. Did you guess?
I gave you a peek of what I have been stamping, now I want to show you some projects in their full photographic glory. Half the fun (and frustration of blogging) is getting a photograph of the project. Sometimes the light is just right and the planets are aligned and you figure out exactly the best setting on your camera to get a really great photo ... but mostly time and light is against you and we get what we get ... Here is the little spice, ribbon, button jar with the faux metal lid stamped with white stazon. I have several of these jars now on my dining table ... they are really, really quick to stamp. Everything in my house is going to have stampin' up images on it now.
The tag is white stazon stamped on gloss white cardstock, punched out with the scallop oval punch and layered onto a wide oval in Riding hood red cardstock. That lovely little ribbon is Riding hood Red tafetta.
So when a friend's birthday was coming up I had no choice: she received a glass and metal canister with fifth avenue floral on the glass ... And, clear embossed stamping on the metal lid. It was fiddly to stamp the flowers in the white stazon on the glass, as I have said if the surface is round you have to roll the stamp around the shape of the jar. The heat embossing on the lid was "easy-peasy"... I have Simply:
Stamped the images in Versamark,
covered with clear emossing powder,
shaken off the excess,
and heated it gently with the heat gun.
Note: before embossing check that the lid is actually metal not faux-plastic-metal (which will melt when you heat it - don't try this at home ... try the tap, touch and scratch test first).
The metal gets quite hot so place it on a bread board, and leave it there till it cools down. If it has a plastic inner lid (which this one did), do the embossing gently so that the heat doesnt go through. Preferably in quick short bursts of heat on the powder, just dont keep the heat gun in one place too long, the heat will transfer through to the plastic inside very quickly.
Here is the lid finished - it really looks like the metal has been etched. Like all embossing it is a real wow feeling when you see it melt and rise and shine on the surface. Hence the number of photos...

What you need to make your stamped glass canister and metal lid:
Stampset: Fifth Avenue floral
1 x glass sugar canister or biscuit jar with metal screw on lid.
Cotton white StazOn ink (for the glass)

VersaMark inkpad (for the lid).
Clear embossing Powder.
Heat tool.

2 comments:

  1. I love stamping on glass too Nerida. Thanks for giving me the idea to also emboss the lids. Just curious, where did you get your jars? Please email me if you don't want to publish this info to the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, I found the small jars at IKEA, and the large round jars are from a Dollar shop, cost $3-4 depending on the size, I think.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, so let me know your thoughts: